Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 11:19:03 EST
I recently had one of my customers relate this story to me. She and her
husband were walking the beach just south of Cape Cod when she ran across a
dead sea turtle with shell intact. Always wanting a sea turtle shell, they
picked up the carcass and brought it home.

They couldn't find a way to clean out the animal and it really started to
smell, so they called around to try and find out how to clean out the animal.
They called many places including the Smithsonian, where they were told they
would have to bring the shell to them as they were the only ones authorized
to be in possession of the shell. As this person was a bit belligerent they
just ignored them. Next thing them knew they were swarmed by USFW agents.
They tore their house apart, confiscated the turtle and brought her to court.
Found guilty of violation of USFW laws, she was fined, put on probation and
now has a criminal record. If she is ever caught with another violation of
USFW laws she will automatically spend a good deal of time in jail. These
folks are serious as well they should be, but they don't care about intent,
just possession. So be advised when walking those beaches out there, if it's
endangered, even if dead, just pretend it does not exist. Save yourself both
time and money.

Frank (rain no snow, in Massachusetts)