From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 12:39:53 -0700
Jeff
We make our own fairly simply by making a pine 'box' with sides sloping towards
the front  (any size needed).  We buy lexan sheets to use as tops - very light
and shatter-proof, although it is a bit of a pain to cut.  We make a routered
cut on the inside upper edge of the sloped box in which to lay the lexan sheet.
To make tiers (if you want them) inside the case we cut styrofoam layers stacked
like stairs and cover the whole thing with some soft material like coat lining.
We find these easy to make, very light, much cheaper han anything you could buy
and attractive enough for our house.
Anyone who wants a better description I can draw plans and mail them to you the
old-fashioned way.  As I mentioned before we also made a curation cabinet out of
simple materials, and I can provide those plans as well to anyone who wants.
One caution which was made to me - beware of the glues in plywoods or
particleboards as these can emit acid fumes and therefore ruin your shells.
This is of most concern to people living in humid environments (luckily not me
since I already made mine using particleboard).

Nora Bryan
Clagary, Alberta

Merry Christmas to all!