From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 16:57:23 -0500
Dear Andrew V.,

The fact is the totality of the Martyn work ("The Universal Conchologist")
was rejected in ICZN opinion 456 ("signed, 24th November 1956; published,
15th March 1957").  It was rejected "for nomenclatorial purposes because
the author did not apply the principles of binomial [today "binominal" is
preferred] nomenclature."  I lack the entire text of the decision, simply
possessing (and I am having trouble constructing this citation):

Hemming, F. and D. Noakes [eds.], 1958.  "Official index of rejected and
invalid works in zoological nomenclature first installment: names 1-58."
pp. 1-14 + x. International Comm. for Zool. Nomenclature, London.

One reason for the  decision may have been that the illustrations were not
"cloned;" each was a separate artistic rendition.  Furthermore, it may well
have been that the work was not consistent in the use of binomina.

That decision notwithstanding, that august body (ICZN) exercised its
plenary powers on 4/25/57 ("published 3rd September, 1957"), opining (no.
479) that nine species named by Thomas Martyn in that work (his only
relevant shell work; all happened to be New Zealand marine gastropods) were
thereby resuscitated to valid status (nomina conservanda).  I refer here to:

Hemming, F. and D. Noakes [eds.], 1958.  Official index of specific names
in zoology first installment: names 1-1525. pp. 1-206. + xvi. International
Comm. for Zool. Nomenclature, London.

The species are:

Patella denticulata (now Cellana; endemic)
Trochus granosus (now Modelia [type]; endemic)
Trochus heliotropum (now Astraea [type]; endemic)
Buccin[um] linea (now Buccinulum [type]; endemic)
Buccin[um] maculosum (now a Cominella [type]; endemic)
[Limax] opalus (now a Cantharidus [type]; endemic)
Buccin[um] papulosum (now a Struthiolaria [type];* endemic)
[Trochus] punctulatus (now a Maurea [type]; endemic)
Buccin[um] vermis (now a Pelicaria to splitters [type]; endemic)

*Although I recall an occurrence of Struthiolaria in Australia, I cannot
confirm it in a review of the popular contemporary literature.

I am uncertain of the basis for the Commission's exemption, I suspect the
endemnicity, possibly the fixation of generic names, had something to do
with their decision.  The VAST majority of Martyn's shell names have been
declared unavailable by these actions.

Maybe Andrew G. or a person in possession of the original publications
(Bull. I.C.Z.N.) could elaborate.

Happy Y2K,
Harry