From:
Paul Drez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 22:01:38 -0700
Hi everyone:

Over the weekend I got a sale catalog from MIT Press that listed a classic
fossil book that some people might be interested in at a great price:

#215 on their list:

"Index Fossils of North America" by Shrimer and Shrock.  It is normally a
$95 book, on sale for $49.95!!!!

It is on invertebrates, has 302 plates, of which plates 144 to 249 are on
fossil mollusca (gastropods, pelecypods, scaphopods and cephalopods).
Molluscan fossils from the Tertiary period are about 30-35 plates.  Anyone
with a general interest in fossils, this is a great book to get aquainted
with fossil invertebrates and at a great price.  Typically, the book shows
one specimen from each major genus, gives a brief description of the genus,
the type species, some noteworthy species from North America and the
geologic range for the genus.  Has a great index by genera and by species.

The sale ends June 30, 1998, their telephone number is 1-800-356-0343 or
1-617-625-8569.  The code for the sale catalog is "8SALE 901".  I don't
remember whether is was MIT Press or not, but I remember one book company
that gave a 800 number and a regular number.  I hung on to the 800 number
for an eternity and never talked to anyone - too busy.  When I dialed the
other number, got someone right away.  The 800 number is worth a try.  They
also say that you can order my email at: mitpress.mit.edu

Paul Drez

P.S.  Realize that this book was published in 1943, and has been reprinted
a zillion times.  So, if you are looking for a book to give you up-to-date
nomenclature this is NOT the book.  But if you want a book that gives you
an idea of the incredible variety of fossils that occur in North America -
this is it!

P.P.S.  Almost any college or large city library probably has a copy of
this if you want to take a look at it first.