Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 16:06:57 EST
Joni,

And until we start listening to you folks, and asking what you want we will
continue to lose new members. The problem? Well, most clubs are run by the
old timers, as well they should (perhaps), and they have been there done
that, so getting speakers, putting on a program, etc., is a real production
because we had this or we had that in the past. Hey, smell the flowers, what
about the people who weren't members the last time you had that program? What
do they want? Be innovative and creative.

When I was vice president of the Torri Shell Club we had 4 or 5 categories of
shell of the month, so the same people didn't win every month. That gets
boring for new people and they think they don't have a chance. Let them feel
like they belong.

We had shell BINGO with shells as bingo prizes. Two auctions every year. One
with donated shells and another the dealers put on with a percentage of the
total going to the club. You should have seen the shells the dealers put out
and the prices were good for everyone. Prize shells at great prices and the
club got a percentage. A shell flea market on a weekend where member showed
their shells and sold shells, crafts, etc., to the public. Easy to put
together and everyone could take part, not just the old timers.

Get the new people involved with committees, activities etc. We all win. The
next Tucker Abbott is out there and it's up to us to encourage them.

I will now step down and go back to the cold, snow and flu/crud. This stuff
can't hang on much longer can it?

Frank (still a bit ill and cold and snow bound) in Massachusetts