From:
Rick Harbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:23:42 -0800
Georg Steller (the German naturalist who accompanied Bering to Alaska in
1741-42) travelled with Gmelin in Russia on the way to Siberia.
The earliest shells collected from the west coast of North America by Cook
in 1778, in Banks Collection, were later described by Gmelin:
Frilled dogwinkle, Nucella lamellosa (Gmelin, 1791)
Leafy hornmouth,Ceratostoma foliatum (Gmelin, 1791)

Rick Harbo
Marine Images, Nanaimo, B.C.