From:
Patty Jansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:50:05 +1000
Dear all,

I just need to add a remark to Paul Monfil's otherwise correct analysis of
naming rules (his subject: More Name Game)

Just be careful with genus names ending in -a, especially if they end in
--ma. If they happen to be derived from Greek, they are NEUTRAL, like
Calliostoma

so we should say Calliostoma similare, and NOT Calliostoma similaris

Just be careful with genus names derived from Greek as a whole. They tend
to behave quite differently in terms of being female/masculine/neutral than
we expect them to. How would you know for certain? Consult original
descriptions, especially if they're old. The old guys had a much better
understanding of ancient Latin and Greek than we do, or better still, find
a Latin or Greek dictionary.

Have fun

Patty