From:
Kay Lavalier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 19:06:06 -0500
Andrew Vik
Tampa, FL, USA

Dear All:

While capturing some Marginella apicina, Dentimargo aureocinctus and
Granulina hadria for a friend yesterday, I noticed something I had not
seen before. I put a few other small snails (Pyramidella crenulata,
Olivella perplexa, and an unidentified Eulimid) in my collection jar
with the marginelliforms. I soon noticed that some of the Marginella
apicina were dragging the Pyramidella and two of the Olivellas around
the jar using the posterior lobe of the foot. When I was sorting out my
catch a short time later, I noticed that 3 out of my 6 Olivella perplexa
had been cleaned out! The Pyramidella and the Mystery Eulimid had
escaped intact, and none of the smaller marginelliform species had been
harmed.
I thought that M. apicina was a true scavenger, but I guess that
impression is only part of the story. They certainly do a nice job of
cleaning small shells out.

My question is: why do they drag their prey behind themselves before
dispatching them?

Yours, Andrew