From:
helmut nisters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 19:12:48 PST
from Helmut Nisters

Dear shell-friends and Aplysists around the world

I want to tell you a nice aplysian-story. When I have been at about  30 years
ago I stayed  with my parents in  Jesolo Lido, near Venice. My mother
went out every morning at about 5 a. m. to collect shells along the sandy
beach. Once a day she found a beached wet-sandied slimy lumb with
algas, which later tourned out to be an Aplysia-species. Which species
exactly has been, we don't rember now., but my father has photographed
her, some day later. But at the moment I cant find the photo.
My mother took Aplysia to the hotel, where we stayed and we bought
a large platik water bowl (basin) to observe our Aplysia. We changed the
water twice a day and gave her to eat, algas and seaweeds and
sea-salad, which she took from hand. She was uite tame and didnt
left any ink. We kept her about on week, until we found her egg-cords
in the water basin. She looked very tired, nearly death. Then we changed
again twice a day, gave very food to her and saved her life. We went out
with a rowing boat far far away from the beach and put her back into the
sea together with the eggs. We saw her swimming away. This was
the first and only time we saw an Aplysia.

yours Helmut