From:
Kay Lavalier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 09:07:35 -0400
Andrew Vik

Dear Martin:

I went to Maui a few years ago. Though I was only there 1.5 days,
I found a couple good spots for shoreline shelling and snorkeling.
If you like miniatures, these are good places to look.

(1) Kalama Park, Kamaole.
On the boulders and between the smaller rubble at the shore, I found Planaxis
labiosa, Nerita picea, Littorina pintado, Nodilittorina picta and Melampus
castaneus.

(2) Auau Channel, Lahaina.
I did some rock washing in about three feet of water at low tide right in front
of our hotel.
In those days, I used to snorkel around with a large size aquarium net (fine
mesh). I would find loose  rocks and shake them around in the net. I got 39
species of miniatures in about 1 hour here. They included some very interesting
species: Julia exquisita, one of the "bivalved univalves" of the order
Sacoglossa; Phenacolepas granocostata, a limpet-like neritacean; Williamia
radiata, one of the pulmonate false-limpets; 2 Fissurellids; 2 Bubble Shells of
different families; several Rissoids; several Turrids, and many others.

Yours, Andrew V.