From:
"Richard S. White" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 14:44:01 -0700
Fossil inverts are incredibly common in Florida, from three primary
depostitional environments, as I understand it.  The phosphate pits are rich
sources, as are the shell beds in the interdigitating marine/terrestrial
depostits.  Of course, there are also the coquina deposits, which, since
they tend to be high-energy deposits, usually consist of small fragments.

To get into the phosphate pits or the shell pits you need the permission of
the owners, which in some cases is very difficult to get - they've been
bitten before by unscrupulous collectors, and for others there are insurance
restrictions on who they will allow in to the commercial pits.  If you go
this route, obviously get permission (in writing is best) and show the
property owner courtesy when you are traipsing around.

Perhaps others know of localities which are accessible to the public.