Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 18:32:52 -0500
I've sent several personal emails regarding this subject but haven't had
much success. I'm hoping someone can help me determine who these shells
were named for and why (why were they important to conchology):
Strombus campbelli
S. helli
S. kleckhamae
S.p. sloani

I could also use help in discovering the meaning of these names:
S. v. athenius ( Athens, Athenia, god of wisdom ?)
S. epidromis (something about running ?)
S. luhuanus  (where is Luhuana ?)
S. l. olydius (olidus = emitting a stink ? )
S. d. orosminus (oris = mouth ? )
S. pipus (like a smoking pipe becasue of black aperture ? )
S .m. septimus ( 7th what ? )

Thanks in advance,

Winston Barney
Library deprived in Fort Worth, TX