From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 07:48:13 -0400
Dear Bill, Winston, Tom, and... Helmut,

First, Bill is correct in his implication of the "improvement" of "Ryukyu"
to "LooChoo" and "luchu" by Latinists.  Also, the species in question is
abundant and a food resource in the tropical Western Pacific basin, BUT
read on...

I think Herr Dr. Watters had it correct.  The "indications" for the binomen
Strombus luhuanus at present is a flimsy ambiguous description (Linnaeus
Syst. Nat. species 432, 1758), that author's references to Rumphius and
d'Argenville for illustrations, both of which are well-executed and
unambiguous, and, according to Dodge (1956), two cotypes marked by Linnaeus
himself in the Linnaean Society collection (London).

Now that the translation of Rumphius' work ("Ambonese curiosity cabinet,"
1705; superbly edited by E. M. Beekman, 1999 Yale University Press, ISBN
0-300-07534-0) is available to English readers, we can trace the origin of
"luhuanus," which trivial name Linnaeus borrowed verbatim from Rumphius,
who stated (in a rigor which greatly exceeded that of his revisor, the
father of binominal nomenclature): "... inside the mouth they have a
special mark, that they are a beautiful red at the lip... these are good
fencers as well, and are often eaten. One will find them often on all kinds
of beaches, but nowhere as much as the Luku (here the editor emends to
"Luhu"), which gave them their name." What a marvelous and accurate
description; is there any doubt which species he is limning?

Abbott (1960), indicating that Linnaeus' type locality of "in O. Asiae" was
a bit vague, restricted the type locality to "Luhu Island, near Amboina and
Ceram, Indonesia."

This brief chronology illustrates some common principles in taxonomy and
nomenclature.  Furthermore, the research has whet my appetite for reading
more of the work of this eminent Dutch naturalist.

Harry

At 09:38 PM 4/30/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Winston, in this case (Strombus luhuanus) I think it refers to the
>Ryukyu Islands, Japan (ref: It's easy to say Crepidula!, Cate & Raskin,
>1986).  It does sound familiar to me as well since I was stationed
>there and S. luhuanus was more than just common - it was lunch to
>a lot of the locals.
>
>Bill F.

Harry G. Lee
Suite 500
1801 Barrs St.
Jacksonville, FL 32204
USA   904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/jacksonv.htm