From:
Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 17:00:17 -0400
Hello shell lovers,

Check out my PhotoPoint site at:

There's a new album with shots of live molluscs (or mollusks, if you
please) in the (what else?) "Live Molluscs" album. Also, there are pictures
of living Argopecten irradians in the Bay Scallops album now. I have lots
more pictures to put up, but working two jobs is keeping me far too busy
(not to mention dealing with this concrete company that was supposed to
pour me a new driveway over a week ago . . . don't get me started).

I might mention that with all the talk about pollution and habitat
destruction, etc., it's good to know that there are still amazing things
out there to be found. Last weekend we took the boat out and found the two
largest Busycon spiratum I have ever collected, both just cruising along on
the sand at about 7 feet. I also found the largest True Tulip (Fasciolaria
tulipa) I have ever collected (and that stretches back to 1968). It was
sitting right next to the boat where we had anchored in about 3 feet of
water and measures over 7 1/2 inches. The flats were also literally covered
with Chicoreus florifer dilectus (Lace Murex)  -- I mean thousands. In one
spot I scooped up a whole handful. Turbo castanea was also present in
incredible numbers with at least one animal every few inches. The bright
red-orange form was pretty common, though not as large as some of the
normal color forms. Can't wait to see what we find this weekend!!

Best regards,
Jim

Jim Miller
Tallahassee, Florida