From:
Sarah Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 14:54:11 EDT
I thought that this might be of some interest to you guys. I am still looking
for the actual scientific article and when I find it, I will post the
follow-up information.
- Sarah
---------------------------------------

Cockroaches, slugs and snails feel pain - studies

LONDON, May 11 (Reuters) - New studies showing that slugs, snails and
cockroaches suffer pain may prompt humans to tiptoe around the animal
kingdom.

The research, the subject of a meeting on Thursday organised by the British
charity Universities Federation for Animal Welfare, delivers a boost to lobby
groups who argue that animals have emotions.

``People who think insects do not feel any pain may be wrong,'' Dr Stephen
Wickens of the charity told the Daily Telegraph newspaper. ``Perhaps people
should think twice before reaching for the fly spray.''

Dr Chris Sherwin of the University of Bristol said insects react much like
cats and dogs in their aversion to electric shocks.

``If it is a chimp we say it feels pain, if a fly we do not. Why?'' Sherwin
said.

Studies carried out at Cambridge University discovered that cows can react
emotionally. Another study revealed that sheep, in defiance of their dumb
image, can distinguish one person from another.

Sarah R. Watson
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/scalaria">http://www.geocities.com/scalaria<
/A>