From:
Peter Egerton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 15:05:23 -0700
Ross,

I love land snails, but still have very few.
I think the my reason is the same as most people's:
        Huge group with so much to learn, but very difficult to get
        identification info on. And so much confusion in classification!
Land shells are fantastic, but soooooo difficult to tackle.

I think a little pumonate resuscitation is in order (sorry!),
Peter Egerton,
Soaking wet and cold in Vancouver, Canada

At 01:28 AM 5/10/00 +0000, you wrote:
>I have been doing some work with land snails recently, and find myself
>wondering "why aren't these guys WAY more popular than they seem to
>be???"  Cowries are downright boring by comparison (ok, they are shiny -
>so is glass!!)!!  There are more species of land molluscs than there are
>marine, and the sheer variety of forms is just knocking me out.
>
>I understand that in the nineteenth century, land snails (and
>Epitoniids!)  were all the rage - so what happened - and are these
>incredibly varied shells making a comeback slowly but surely??
>
>Always curious in Canada,
>Ross.
>--
>Ross Mayhew: Schooner Specimen Shells:
>Http://www.schnr-specimen-shells.com
>"We Specialize in the Unusual"
>Phone: (902) 876-2241; Fax: (603) 909-8552.
>But try to find "something for Everyone"!!
>Snail Mail: 349 Herring Cove Rd, P.O Box 20005, Halifax, N.S., Canada,
>B3R 2K9.

Peter Egerton, Vancouver, Canada
Collector of worldwide Mollusca,
lifetime student of zoology and computers.
Step into my website:
http://www.intergate.bc.ca/personal/seashell/index.html