From:
Art Weil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:01:08 -0400
Dear Bill;-
    Your friend is absolutely right. Shells, which are calcarious cytoplasm,
are created from the  (mostly) large seaweed fronds. The fronds break off, and
on their way to the bottom of the sea, curl to the right in the Nothern
Hemisphere and to the left (or sinistralia) in the Southern Hemisphere. The
individual protoblasts are replaced by calcium carbonate molecules which
inhabit all salt waters. On reaching the bottom, the new shell-like creatures
are subjected to tides and tsunamis which wash them ashore in places such as
Florida and New Jersey.
    The Answer Man