From:
Aydin Orstan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 08:44:46 EST
Hi everyone,

Is there any harm in soaking land snail shells in diluted bleach (1 part
bleach:4 parts water) for as long as an hour or so? I have found that this is
a good way to remove the adhering debris from the insides and outsides of
shells of soil dwelling species, especially if the shells are too tiny (for
example, Vertigo spp.) to clean with a brush.

I know that there is some organic matter, e.g., protein, within the shell
that bleach may dissolve away. But that probably happens naturally anyway
after the animal dies. So, the difference between a bleached and a
naturally-weathered shell may not be noticeable.

Any thoughts?

Aydin Orstan