From:
Emilio Jorge Power <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 11:23:41 -0400
"Harry G. Lee" wrote:

> Dear Emilio P.,
>
> Not having all the pop literature, I have been illuminated by Mariette
> Jearey (R.S.A.) about an additional published revelation; I quote her email:
>
> "I refer to Cowries and their relatives of Southern Africa by Bill Liltved,
> page 96:
> 'To date approximately 6 sinistral specimens of C. edentula, 5 of C.
> capensis, 3 C. fuscodentata, are known from Southern Africa.' (By the way,
> that was known before I found my 2 C. capensis).  He also mentions the
> following: '1 C. declivis (W. Australia), 1 C. mus (Venezuela), 1 C.
> stolida (Queensland) and 1 C. zebra (Brazil)'"
>
> These are bigger numbers of C. capensis and C. fuscodentata than we (with
> full documentation) could previously account for, but I am utterly amazed
> by the Cypraea zebra find!

Hello!

Hi HLee,

Yes the sinistral Macrocypraea zebra dissimilis is a neat find and so is
the sinistral Syphocypraea mus [both ref: Luigi Raybaudi]. The mus find
destroys the hypothesis that sinistral Cypraea exist only in the
Southern Hemisphere. Guess "authorities" have to be careful when they
shoot from the hip. I do not know the exact locality for the zebra, Brazil,
but where? As the equator cuts thru the country coastline just north of
Belem near the Amazon delta.

Note: Raybaudi lists the C. zebra as the subspecies
_Macrocypraea zebra dissimilis_ Schilder, 1924

Later,

Emilio Jorge Power

Please visit;

"The Liguus Home Page"