From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 19:04:36 -0400
In the hopes of getting this group on another track, I would like to pose
a question.  This is one that can be answered by the most and least
experienced of us.  I am working on a paper dealing with the malacological
literature.  I would like the input of the group as to what, say 10 works,
you find the most useful.  Now, if you specialize in cone, I would
be interested in your cone references.  If you specialize in terrestrial
gastropods, what works are most indispensable to you.  If you only work
with the fauna of New Zealand, what are your top picks?  The list can be
works dealing with a specific region, a specific genus or family, they can
be the best ten general books that a beginner might find useful.  hey
might deal with photographing shells or maintaining them in an aquarium.
The works most likely will be books, but they might be a monograph or a
paper.  Some may have been published last year, some might be 50 or 100
years old [some groups don't get worked on frequently :)]
  There are some 300 of us on the list.  Hopefully, I'll hear from many of
you.  If you don't want to post to the list, feel free to send your
recommendations to me.  When I have compiled all the info, I will post the
results on the list.
  Thanks for your assistance.  Now let's get to it whether you deal with
marine, freshwater, terrestria; recent or fossil mollusks.

Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, PA
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine