From:
Freek Titselaar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 20:41:05 -0700
Lynn Scheu wrote:

> Does anyone know anything about limpets for Jonathon and Jason?
>
> >From: "Jason Hu" <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: <[log in to unmask]>
> >Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 02:03:43 -0700
> >
> >Dear Sir,
> >We are working on a science project.
> >the topic is - where the holes coming from.
> >a rock we pick up at cost side with so many round holes on it
> >After research, we found out limpet may be is the one who coursed, but how?
> >Please advise
> >
> >Jonathan and Jason Hu

Dear Lynn,

Limpets are most unlikely the cause of the 'round holes in the rock'.
Although there radular teeth are very strong, it is not part of their
feeding habit to work themselves through stones and rock. Although
Jonathan and Jason don't mention the diameter and depth of the holes, I
would suspect members of the Pholadidae or any other Bivalve that is
known to belong to a family of boring clams. An individual limpet could
have been found a perfect hiding-place in one of the abandoned holes.

Sincerely yours and kind greetings from a limpet maniac,

Frederick Titselaar
Amsterdam