From:
Jorge Bartolomeu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 00:12:16 +0100
Continuation 3:

        In Mauritius you for sure will find at least 5 different species of the
family Littorinidae and 1 specie of  Planaxidae  mostly in the supratidal
and intertidal zone.
When diving or snorkelling in reefs or lagoons always look under stones and
dead coral, you will surely find lots of cowries, cones and elements of the
family Vasidae and Fasiolariidae. Try and look at the base of corals for
Latarius polygonus, L. barclayi  etc… .
        Cones are very abundant in shallow water near seagrass (e.g. the beach in
front of the Aquarium), in some areas I recall 4 deferent species: C.
lividus, C. sanguinolentus, C. moreleti and C. frigidus all much alike and
very difficult to identify when caught because of the thick cover of algae
on the shell.
The beautifully Hydatina amplustre can be found at night if you tack with
you a light fox. At night, snorkelling, diving or even looking among rocks
or coral in low tide will make hart  beat 5 times faster … … . Cowries and
Olives can be a joy.
        In coral sand you can't miss the big Strombidaes (S. lentiginosus, L.
chiragra arthritica, L. truncata).
At Cap Malheureux, under intertidal rocks Cypraea felina, C. fiambrata, C.
kieneri and C. gracilis can be found very infrequently; at a depth of 1 to
3 meters big tiger cowries are a common spot.
 Epitoniidae are hard to find, but when found, Pagurus crabs habit the
shell - try to tack a sand filter with you, to fined microshells or other
sand drullers, may be you will get luckier then I did ! The best areas are
the rough beaches in the south, like Souillac, Riambel, Bel Ombre and Baie
du Cap. A few months before I came back to Portugal, a cyclone swept this
area. I can imagine all the beached shells … …
Nassariidae are common in Mauritius. From the lots of different species I
collected ,  N. albescens gemmmuliferus was collected 2 meters deep buried
in coral sand, N. concinnus in intertidal sand and N. horridus under stones.
Patellidae, aren't so abundant, since the locals must gather them to eat,
but some species are found (don't forget your pocket knife).
        I could go one writing the hole night  about the shell wonders of this
Island ….