From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 13:11:19 -0400
Dear Kevin, Rubin, listers,

Rubin gets a Cc, but I thought this one had merit for the group.

Ampullaria gigas (Spix, 1827) is alive and well in the Amazon system of
Brasil and Peru.  I have had a few specimens brought to me by peripatetic
patients - some, regrettably, with hand-painted with depictions of local
landscapes and biota.  My largest shell is 5 1/2 inches (140 mm) and it
holds 14 oz (420 mL) of water.  With its speckled and dashed outer aperture
and prodigious dimensions, it qualifies as one of the most spectacular of
the freshwater snails.

Variances in generic assignment (Pila, Pomacea) and the variant spelling
"Ampullarius" may conceal the taxon in some works. The species was treated
by several nineteenth century authors, but the only illustrations I can
locate are in Spix (1827), Reeve (1856), and Alderson (1925).

A promising title, which is lacking in my library, is: Pain, T., 1972. The
Ampulariidae: historical survey. Journal of Conchology 27(7): 453-462.

Are there other FW gastropods listers find outstanding in any special way?

Harry

At 09:24 AM 8/2/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Perhaps someone on the list can assist the person.  Please reply directly
>to Rubin.
>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Rubin Sanson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ampullaria gigas.
>
>Dear Sir,
>Could you forward to me any information on the gastropod Ampullaria
>gigas? The generic name might have been changed, since I can't find this
>species in my own zoological litterature.
>
>Yours sincerely,
>Rubin Sanson, MSc.
>Kevin S. Cummings
Harry G. Lee
Suite 500
1801 Barrs St.
Jacksonville, FL 32204
USA   904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/jacksonv.htm