From:
Philip Poland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 17:38:37 -0400
Aw gosh an' gee whiz, thanks Art.
As I'd mentioned, strong wind toward the Gulf in conjunction with a
scheduled minus tide produced one heck of a low tide.
Gorgonia on the Atlantic and Gulf coasts live just subtidally. An event
like this leaves them partly or totally exposed. It's then a matter of
finding the few odd color forms among the many usual ones, then examining
them for the little predator of the same color.
I had never seen or heard of an orange one before. Any of you folks on
Conch-L?
Photography was hasty and not as I'd have liked to do it. Snippets of the
three gorgonian color forms were put, along with the snails, into a little
clear plastic tub of filtered seawater, and photographed over a dark
background. I used a Nikon FE2, 55 macro lens, twin strobes (TTL mode), and
Fuji Velvia (50). The tub should have been raised up a little to throw the
background out of focus. I was not set up that day. My little aquarium was
not put together. Lesson: keep a simple set-up ready, you never know what
you'll come across.

Phil P.