From:
Cook Tony <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 13:18:02 +0100
Kay,

I think you might have to be specific about what "the common garden slug" is
and where you are living since life cycles vary with species and with
climate. Further, different species of slug will have different feeding
preferences.

As a gross over-generalization large slugs tend to breed in the autumn and
smaller slugs breed a number of times through the year (spring  to autumn).
Killing them before they breed is a good idea!

I grow Hostas. I also, inadvertently, grow slugs and the former are
relatively undamaged by the latter. I take no special measures against them.

Tony Cook

Dr. A. Cook
Assistant Director, (Project Development),
Educational Development Unit
L029
University of Ulster
Coleraine