From:
Matthew Grote <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 19:18:19 EDT
Hi Kay,

     I have a shade garden here in Maryland (zone 7).  This summer has been
wetter and cooler than the norm...so here come the slugs!  Since my garden is
large I can't bait with beer trays etc.  I do preventative measures in the
early Spring with an Ortho product called "Bug Geta".  Its a pelletized
bait/poison that is very effective.  Throughout the season, if I notice slug
activity, I re-apply.  I've learned to appreciate the beauty of a not so
perfect leaf, but I wasn't always this way.  Its unfortunate but Hostas are
candy to slugs and voles.

     On an other note, I would like to go on a collecting trip to the
Bahamas.  Something not extravagant that could be enjoyed by a novice
collector.  Is there a better time of year or certain island group that
someone could recommend?  I'm looking for cones and have the pioneering
spirit.

Thanks,     Matt