From:
"Orstan, Aydin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 08:19:41 -0400
Sinistral species & even genera are more common among the land snails. Since
sinistral & dextral species usually coexist & either type appears to have
survived -in an evolutionary sense- equally well, we can rule out the
possibility that one direction of coiling is better than the other. So, the
reason why most gastropods are dextral may simply be that the ancestral
gastropods happened to be that way; a historical accident so to speak.

Aydin