From:
"Orstan, Aydin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:41:32 -0500
David,
I have been getting pretty good results by scanning large (>=10 mm) shells
at 300 dpi. So far, these have been either wide & flat shells or long &
narrow shells. In other words, they didn't extend much in the 3rd dimension.
Also when I scanned a Punctum shell, which was barely a 1 mm long, at 1200
dpi, the results were very disappointing. It would have taken someone who
didn't know what I had scanned quite a bit of imagination to conclude that
the image on the screen was actually a shell. Changing the color, exposure &
sharpness level, or increasing the resolution beyond the optical limit of
1200 didn't make any difference.

I have yet to try a shell in the 5 mm range.

Aydin