From:
"Pasquariello, Quin @ Bangkok" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 05:55:00 -0500
Hi all.  My name is Quin and I am an ameteur shell collector currently
living in Thailand.  I've had the opportunity of travelling all over the
world and have collected quite a beautiful assortment of various kinds,
sizes, and colors of shells.  I really don't have much knowledge about
shell collecting past that.

I'm trying to find out information on how to clean the shells and to
protect their hardness.  In short I'm looking for shell beautification
tips.  For example, I've heard that clorox bleach is good for cleaning
off barnacles and other hard to remove crud, and that fluoride
toothpaste or varnish is good for protecting the hardness.  However, I'm
reluctant to try anything (for fear of damaging them) until I can get
more credible information.

Is there anyone out there that can offer some proven methods on cleaning
and preservation?

Thanks.