From:
"C. E. Pinkerton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 16:03:55 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Henk and Zvia Mienis <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sunday, December 10, 2000 9:58 AM
Subject: Re: Recent invasions of Achatina fulica

>It was a little bit more than a big deal. The illegal import of two adult
>specimens of Achatina fulica from Hawaii into Florida in the early sixties
>and the subsequent release of these snails and their offspring in a
>backyard, triggered a million dollar eradication campaign, of which the
bill
>was presented to the local taxpayers. Henk.

Hello All....for my 2 cents worth about the African Snails and their
introduction into Florida many years back now...let me tell about how I
slightly helped in stopping the invasion.  When we lived in Hawaii, I was
corresponding secretary to the Hawaiian Shell Club...Ibby Harrison was the
regular secretary and a very dear friend indeed.  One piece of
correspondance came to me from a lady in Florida who said on her recent
return from a visit to Hawaii, her grandson had secreted a large snail in
his suitcase.  Upon getting it home I presume it was cared for in some sort
of aquarium...however, the offender gave birth, as snails are prone to do,
to a multitude of offspring, and she wanted to know what to feed the few
they decided to keep...having released the others into their back yard.
SURPRISE....I called Ibby, she called the authorities in Hawaii, who in turn
called the powers that be in Florida.  As I understand it within hours,
possibly minutes, the dear soul who wrote me was descended upon and
ultimately reprimanded to say the least.   I can only presume so, but I
imagine she holds no Aloha for me for having turned her in.  At least we
were complimented by our swift action and the Florida fruit growers were
saved for the moment.  I understand quite a hunt was conducted to harbour
all the little critters .
I know first hand how they invade gardens...ours suffered drastically...as
each nite they would come around and have a midnite dinner on my posies.
Just my good deed for the day.........Mique