From:
Horatio Buck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 17:14:30 +0000
At 08:18 PM 1/8/98 EST, you wrote:
>At the risk of offending a lot of people, I have decided to heed the advice of
>a fellow Conch-L'er and air my feelings about a few things.  Lots of folks
>couldn't care less.
>
>This probably has nothing to do with the recent controversy that has people
>knocking each other like balls across a tennis net......people who are
>supposedly friends involved in a common interest--shells.  Why do friends
>treat friends like this?  Does it involve competition in shell shows?
>
>This is my point--and I realize I will probably make a lot of "winners" out
>there mad.  But why do we have shell shows and compete against each other for
>trophies?  Isn't the idea of a shell show to educate the public?  Does it
>matter who wins a trophy?  Do they educate the public "MORE"?
>
>I don't think so!  The people who win the trophies are the ones who are (l)
>able to travel the world to collect these "winners" or (2) pay some dealer
>(unscrupulous or not) to supply them with these shells so they can win!!!
>
>Please don't misunderstand me--this is not sour grapes.  Someone who wins
>these awards at these shell shows has a lot of time (and money) invested in
>their exhibits.
>
>I believe that there are more politics involved in  competitive shell shows
>than goes on in Washington, DC.  (Please forgive me, winners.)
>
>What am I leading up to?  I guess I really don't know.  As I said, I've seen
>the hurt, sarcasm, name calling and everything else that has gone on lately on
>this List.  Do I think my feelings about competition at shell shows will make
>any difference?  Probably not, but I do feel it's time for intelligent people
>to get their "stuff" together.  Let's enjoy our hobby (to most of us it's a
>hobby) stop being competitive, dive, snorkel, walk the beach, buy from
>dealers, whatever.  But when it comes to displaying what we have, let's don't
>have this "cut throat" intelligence that says "WIN at ANY COST!"
>
>My suggestion to stop this madness is to "Exhibit-and Educate-not Compete."
>
>Thanks--I got it off my chest!
>
>Carol

I would like to second Carol's comments.  I have been a collector for 20
years having started in Okinawa with a largely self-collected collection,
and on my return to the US, I purchased and traded shells as a means of
enlarging my collection.  I have been a member of the Georgia Shell Club
since 1978 and  one aspect of our club that has impressed me the most is
that ours is one of the friendliest groups I have ever encountered, and in
general, most shell collectors are among the friendly class.  As Carol
noted, there are some who collect to compete, and I say more power to them.
I participate in shows for the fun of participation and education of the
masses.  I have never won a major award and I would be lying if I said that
I don't really want to win one, but the joy of participation and fellowship
far outweighs any award.

Horatio