From:
charles sturm jr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:48:32 -0500
Folks,
  I once heard the folowing story:  Papuina pulcherrima / Papustyla
pulcherrima, which is on the CITES list, and considered endangered by
several governments (in addition to CITES listing) is not actually in any
danger.  However, since it is an arboreal animal, people were destroying
the habitat indiscriminantly trying to collect these shells.  Thus, it was
listed as endangered not to save its existance but to save the habitat
where it is found (and I guess ultimately this will assure its survival
also).  Has anyone else heard this story?  Is the taxon in question truly
endangered?
  Thanks for your input.

Regards,
Charlie