From:
Peter Egerton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:54:52 -0800
Here in BC the Northwestern Crows eat bivalves by dropping them on
the roads, sidewalks, rocks, whatever's a hard surface. There have
been studies done regarding this behavior and it's quite the thing
to watch. It's also a great way to collect shells...a few times I've
seen a crow drop one and run over and nabbed it (they often take a
few drops before the shell breaks). I've also narrowly escaped being
the accidental target of these drops as well. Quite entertaining!

Peter Egerton,
Vancouver, Canada

At 11:56 AM 1/29/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Gulls Find New Way To Eat Clams
>
>By SONJA BARISIC
>.c The Associated Press
>

>JAMESTOWN, Va. (AP) - The herring gull scoops a clam out of a muddy creek,
>flies 200 yards to a road, rises a few feet higher, opens its bill and bam! -
>the clam hits the pavement.
>
>That scene is repeated, sometimes hundreds of times a day during the winter,
>as herring gulls on Jamestown Island near Williamsburg use the road to crack
>open the hard shells so they can retrieve and eat clam meat.
>
>``They are quite resourceful,'' said Daniel A. Cristol, an assistant
>professor of biology at the College of William and Mary, who has been
>studying the gulls for five years.
>
>``The long-term question is: How do they get good at it?'' Cristol said as he
>stood along the road, watching the gulls on a bracing, sunny day. ``Is it a
>learned thing, or is it something that evolved long ago, somewhere else, and
>they just appropriated it here?''
>
>Cristol said the skill could be innate, but his preliminary findings suggest
>that the behavior is consistent with learning - an example of how some
>animals are able to adjust their lifestyles when people alter their habitats.
>
>Of the five species of gulls present on Jamestown Island during the winter,
>only herring gulls drop clams.
>
>``I think herring gulls have the capacity to learn how to do it and the
>others don't,'' Cristol said. ``They learn it from one another.''
>
>The gulls do this about two hours a day during low tide, from late November
>through late March.
>
>They use the road leading to Jamestown Island, which is littered with pieces
>of clam shell, and also the hard surface of a small island in the creek
>believed to be the remains of a Civil War-era bridge. The road is better,
>though, because too many gulls - including the other species - lie in wait on
>the bridge, ready to steal the meat when a clam is dropped.
>
>Cristol and his students collected and measured about 6,000 clam shells over
>three years, and it appears that the gulls favor a middle-sized clam, about 3
>inches across.
>
>Cristol speculates that a small shell isn't worth the energy required to drop
>it because it doesn't contain much meat, while a large clam is meatier but
>too heavy to carry.
>
>Cristol also has noticed that the gulls usually rise up in the air a few feet
>before they drop the clams. He thinks they are trying to reach the most
>efficient dropping height. Too low, and the clam won't break; too high, and
>the bird is wasting energy.
>
>The birds seem to get better at gauging the right clam size and height as
>they age, Cristol said.
>
>Cristol did similar research with crows and walnuts in California when he was
>a postdoctoral fellow at the University of California, Davis.
>
>Crows were dropping walnuts onto roadways, and some people thought this was
> [...]
Peter Egerton, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Collector of worldwide Mollusca, lifetime student
of zoology and computers.
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Step into my website:
http://www.intergate.ca/personal/seashell/index.html
(includes "Seashells of British Columbia", links and my resume)
        -Links to add, remove, alter?  Just ask!
        -This is an on-going project.
        -Suggestions always welcome :-)