From:
"C. E. Pinkerton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 18:12:15 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas E. Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, January 29, 2001 2:28 PM
Subject: Re: Interesting article

>One additional note to the clam bombing.  The height chosen for the drop
has
>been linked to a choice by the bird of the minimum required to break the
>clam and yet dot so high that the prize can be stolen by another bird
before
>the bomber can get back to the ground.
>
>Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico (plenty of gulls here, believe it or not --
lost
>I guess)

Just an addition to this gull or other bird ability to break molluscs...A
few years ago our shell club went to Okracoke on a club outing and took a
small, boat over to the land strip just off shore.  To get to the beach in
some places, one had to cross sometimes marshey spots, sometimes exmarshey
spots that were dried down with an occasional rock or so protruding above
the dried salt, etc.  Believe me, I found several shells where the birds had
dropped onto rocks not much bigger than my two hands...Of course they were
high enough too that the shells were always broken and of no use to me...but
I thought at the time..".hey these guys have great aim..."......
Since I am not the greatest on the computer I am taking the opportunity to
send this to any and all who might find a chuckle or two therein...I know
this way works and I cant always get a direct note to the Conch-L site...so
bear with me.....Mique