From:
"C. E. Pinkerton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 15:53:10 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Linda Bush <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, February 16, 2001 2:53 PM
Subject: HELP Needed

>Hi, Conch-Lers!
>
>Now don't shudder, those of you who are "purists."   I have some white gar
scales, and I need to dye some red and some green for a lady in our church
to use.   I don't use dyed shells in my shellcraft, but I am aware that dyed
shells are available.   So maybe someone can tell me how to do it.
Otherwise, I will have to paint them with acryllics for her.

>Thanks,
>Linda

Greetings....No I wont shudder, I do things like this all the time after 42
years of collecting, designing, and in general just enjoying shells for
whatever use I can put them to.  About the gar scales...I have also been
looking for some and if you have a surplus, in the natural, that you wish to
share/sell let me hear from you at my private e-mail address...and as to
painting them I still havent gotten beyond the use of fingernail polish...of
course green is sometimes hard to come by but then pet shops and owners
indulge in odd colors for their pooches.  The nail polish eliminates a
second coat of clear lacquer that I prefer...I am also looking for some very
large fish scales...you wouldnt happen to have any of these would you??? On
these I found (believe it or not) I could dye them in beet juice and
depending on length of time in the solution could get deeper shades...made
my Easter bonnet one year of them...really pretty.Good luck and many
thanks....Mique