Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 07:11:32 -0400
Bobby, you wrote:
Yeah right....what do you do with all those shells that have no common
names?  Or like I said the Floridians that call coquinas....periwinkles?

In the case of periwinkles being called coquinas well even us "common"
people sometimes miss the mark so to speak . Most collectors I know call a
coquina a coquina, and a periwinkle a periwinkle . But many Latin names are
tossed about too, what ever happened to "polinces"? I read probably two
dozen messages not long ago about how polinces is now being called something
else entirely different . What's up with that ? Or how about the legendary
"lion's paw" , anyone found a proper  Latin name for that one yet????? {oh
that must have stung a bit}
We also have another funny little thing about "Latin", it's a dead language
and thusly i hear several butchered Latin names as there are no indigenous
Latins speaking this anymore. My favorite revised Latin name is "busycon".
Many of you in the shelling community pronounce this boozycon?
ITS BUSY not boozy. If your using english as your native tongue then use
vowels properly. Well what do you think there Sir Art, have we made the
case? mark