From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 01:56:15 +0000
Dear Charles;
        While polishing or otherwise altering the natural appearance of a shell
may make it look more attractive to some, the great majority of
collectors prefer to recieve and preserve their shells in as natural a
state as possible - for example, unless a specimen is of a rare species
or form, or is in some other way quite exeptional, it is next to
impossible to sell if the lip is even slightly filed, and polished or
otherwise extensively altered shells are generally not even considered
by conchologists.  The only exeptions are mild treatments that simply
enhance and preserve natural features of the shell, such as light oil
application, and the use of glycerin to preserve fragile periostracum.
Note that these treatments are easily removed, and are thus are not
considered shell "doctoring".  Therefore, the vast majority of methods
of shell specimen alteration are not acceptible to the collector, and
are of interest primarily to sellers and consumers of "commercial" or
tourist/ornamental shells.

Sincerely,
Ross.