Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 12:13:44 +0200
Dear Ross,
thank you for returning to this question.
If C. donmoorei is a form of C. mus transitional forms should be known to
cowry students. Even if the former is a subspecies transitional forms still
could be found. It will be very interesting to hear about information of
this kind.
E. Petuch described a new species Cyp. donmoorei in 1979 (Bulletin of marine
science, 29(2):216-225) after comparing differences between the new species
and Cyp. mus in shell morphology,  anatomy of living animal (mantle
structure, head region, dorsum of  foot, radula) and ecology.
I did not find in lists of cypraeoidean literature for last 30 years a work
questioning this description, but maybe I overlooked something. So I think
Cyp. donmoorei is a valid species until opposite views will be proved.
Eduard Heiman