From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 08:39:59 -0400
Roger,
There is nothing comprehensive....you'll have to have numerous references
dealing with geographic areas or specific groups of land snails....the old
Walter Webb books are good for some things....the Compendium is the best
despite its numerous transposed names, etc.  And its Literature Cited
sections are good jumping off points.  Parkinson, et al. and Springsteen
and Leobrera have even more per page..... Kurt

At 05:55 PM 6/11/01 +0800, you wrote:
>I am getting very interested in land/tree snails, but so far I have only 3
>books to help me identify specimen.  Of course The Compendium of
>Landshells  (R. Tucker Abbott), Tropical landshells of the World
>(Parkinson, Hemmen and Groh), Shells of the Philippines (Springsteen and
>Leobrera)  and The Liguus Tree Snails of South Florida (Henry T. Close).
>These works are really good but they very often leave me in the dark when
>trying to find out what dealers or more advanced collectors are offering.
>Anyone at Conch-L who could refer to more books on this topic ?  I am
>mainly interested in tropical and subtropical landshells.
>Many thanks in advance.
>Roger Van den Berghe
>Manila, Philippines

Mr. Kurt Auffenberg