From:
Alan Gettleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 21:48:00 -0400
Emilio is correct.  In the town of Yumuri in eastern Cuba, townspeople
sell Polymita to the tourists, but when the local police come around,
the shells disappear until the police leave.  The locals will take these
shells and string them into necklaces and other ornaments.  Even though
the Polymita is protected in Cuba,except for scientific purposes, in the
Havana marketplace there are strings of P. muscarum neclaces which sell
for 20 cents each, or so I am told. . .
Alan Gettleman
Merritt Island, FL