From:
Emilio Jorge Power <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 May 1998 09:52:05 -0400
PaulCyp wrote:

> The book "Marine Shells of South Africa" by Steyn and Lussi was supposed to be
> out in April - anyone know whether it is currently available?  Also, the
> literature I received on this book seemed to indicate that it would be based
> largely on beach-collected shells??  Am I right on that?
Hello!

Hi PaulC,

Yes the literature does state "Beached" shells. Some of the So Afr cones
are deep water and do not show up (or very rarely) as beached specimens.
The ones that do are very corroded so id characters a restricted to no
color and very worn shapes (shoulders, lips, spires and obviously
corroded protoconchs). I suppose that if you live there and hit the
beaches often you would get some choice specimens (as far as beached
ones go).

I am looking more to distributions, variations within and among
populations, and ecological information. I do not think this book would
have this from the looks of the flyer.
--
Later,

Emilio Jorge Power