From:
charles sturm jr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 22:51:37 -0400
Folks,
   I have tried to keep quiet regarding the flying pigs but will profer my
thoughts on the subject.  I do not care if the flying pigs are here or not.
What does bother me is a double standard on how off topic messages are
handled.  I am aware of at least one person that was banished for several
months on account of off topic posts.  There are others who seem to "get
away" with such postings.  I don't care if the poster is American,
European, Asian, etc.  Either all are treated the same or we are
hippocrits.  If we tolerate such postings we risk losing some people who
are here soley for shell related discussions.  As for me, I just use the
delete key more frequently.   If we tighten things up and forbid such
postings, the discussions may become a bit drier but we will be adhering to
the mandates of our host, the Univ. of Georgia.  It is for us to decide but
realize we may lose our host in the process.
  Now for a shell related issue.  Other than Abbott's book and Parkinson,
et al's books on terrestrial gastropods does anyone know of any other such
compendia in English or in other languages?  Thanks.

Regards,
Charlie
-----
Charlie Sturm, Jr.
Research Associate - Malacology
Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor of Family Medicine