From:
CHARLES F STURM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 14:50:37 -0400
Folks,
  My letter late last night was sent in haste.  I implied the possibility
of a double standard and would like to be a bit clearer.  I was pointing a
finger at no one inparticular but felt all members of the list are
sometimes capable of applying a double standard, myself included.  After
all we are human and prone to the biases that make us who and what we are.
  I received an in-depth letter from one of our moderators who pointed out
that my remarks did not take in all the data that were available to them.
I realize this now and publically apologige if I offened any of our
moderators by implying they might be hipocritical in applying the
standards to the members of Conch-L.  Our moderators are working behind
the scenes to keep this a lively, enjoyable forum.  I doubt many of us
would be willing to put the time into being a moderator if we were asked
to do so.
  With this, I will bow out of the current debate and encourage others to
do so as well.  I will return to commenting on archival and curatorial
issues, a topic that I can speak upon with some modicum of expertise!
  Once again, I'm sorry for any grief that I may have caused anyone.

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, PA
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine