From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 May 1998 16:15:13 -0700
>I will be in the southern California region in June and wanted to see if
>anyone on the Conch-l list could recommend a museum in San Diego or Santa
>Barbara that has a marine mollusc collection on display. Any information
>on the museums would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
>
>Mike Schenk

Mike,
There are three major museums in the area with grea shell collections: San
Diego Museum of Natural History, Los Angeles Museum of Natural History.
I'm sure that if you call in advance they would love to share their
collections for your viewing.  They don't have good displays on shells, but
their collection rooms are very interesting.  LACMNH has a web pag and you
can contact Dr. McLean or Lindsey Groves on the Malacology linl.  There is
also a nice natural history museum in Yucaipa, California, near San
Bernardino.  It's the Mousely Museum of Natural History.  35308 Panorama
Drive, Yucaipa  Tel: (909) 790-3163  Open Wednesday through Saturday  Noon
to 4 p.m.  The Pacific Shell Club visited the Museum two months ago and was
extremely impressed with their shell display and fossil display.  I'll
visit in June as I missed the field trip.  Good luck on your vacation.
        Dan Yoshimoto
p.s. If you call Lindsey at LACMNH I'm sure he'll give you the names of the
other 2 major museums' malacology curators.

Dan & Hiromi Yoshimoto
1164 Vista Dr.
Eureka, California
        95503-6018