From:
Betty and Bob Lipe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 May 1998 19:37:38 -0700
Wesley M. Thorsson wrote:

> Dan:
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> There are a number of species in Hawaii that secrete purple dye.  Oliva
> paxillus sandwicensis will put out purple dye and stain your hand.  We
> laid one on the boat seat cushion and the stain lasted over a year.  Sea
> hares Aplysiidae also spurt purple dye in the water when you disturb
> them and this seems to be more clearly from being disturbed.
>
> Aloha,
>
> Wes

I looked through all of the Purple Dye letters, and no one mentioned
Epitoniums, which will do the same thing, but it's harder to get them to
release the yellow liquid which turns purple and will dye the aperature
of the shell.

Bob Lipe
Bob & Betty Lipe mailto:[log in to unmask]
The Shell Store: http://theshellstore.com