From:
mike gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 14:49:58 -0500
David Kirsh wrote:

> Again, if we want to improve the discussion and make it more useful, we might plan something to call attention to the real culprits: Industrial-scale fishing, agribusiness run-off water contaminants, real estate so-called development, etc.

Calling attention to agribusiness, pornographers, and stock scam artists
may secure the moral high ground, but will do nothing for shell
collecting regulations.

In Florida, rules and regulations for shell collecting are set by the
Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWCC). Rules are proposed to
the Commission, researched by the Commission's staff, discussed at
scheduled public meetings and, if appropriate, at single-issue
workshops, then adopted or rejected.

The Commission, and Florida regulations, call our stuff "shellfish", and
the pertinent regulations are in 68B-26 "Southwest Florida Shells".
Other bans, such as pink conch and taking from sanctuaries are
elsewhere.

The Commission really has no interest in chatting about things like
Industrial-scale fishing, agribusiness run-off water contaminants, real
estate so-called development, etc. when the agenda is shellfish, and
they'll likely get very pissed off at anyone who tries to sidestep the
issue at hand.

The ban in Lee County is an extension of bans already in place in
Sanibel and Ft. Myers. Those bans were not proposed by greenies,
conch-huggers, or any other evil group - they were requested by the city
fathers and the Lee County Commission who don't know the difference
between a shellfish and a golf cart. The reason for the bans is tourist
control (the county does everything it can to discourage day-trippers)
and the possibility that locals will see their beachcombing decline.

The Lee County commissioners requested the ban. It was on the agenda at
a public meeting of the Commission. No one said a word against the ban.
The FWCC accommodated Lee County with a regulation.

If you support or oppose live shelling bans enough to give up yer
activities re Industrial-scale fishing, agribusiness run-off water
contaminants, real estate so-called development, etc., you should make
it a point to express yer opinions the the FWCC if and when it
deliberates live shelling bans.

Shelling will be on the agenda at the Pensacola meeting November 4-6.
There may be shelling items at other meetings, which is why you should
be on the mailing list for meeting agendas, or look up the meeting
agendas on the FWCC website.

Then, after the meeting, we can all get roaring drunk and tar and
feather the Industrial-scale fishing, agribusiness run-off water
contaminants, real estate so-called development, etc. folks.