From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 00:37:37 +0000
Dear Carol;
        No relationship to Pfiesteria so far as i can see - this is something
new, that science has not encountered before - or at least if not
totally new, something very rare (until now!) and mysterious.  I will be
counting on the Florida gulf-coasters to keep the list up-to-date on
further developments in this matter, since it should be in their newspapers.

From the Cold, Wet North,
-Ross M.

-Ross.

       From:    "Carol B. Simpson" <[log in to unmask]>

Is this threat any kin to pfiesteria?

Carol

From:   Karlynn Morgan <[log in to unmask]>

Following is a link to a news article in yesterday's Naples (FL) Daily
News.  Included in the article are some amazing satellite images of the
southern end of the Florida peninsula.  This phenomenon may profoundly
affect all sealife in the Gulf and Keys, including our shelling
habitats.

http://www.naplesnews.com/02/03/naples/d483334a.htm

Karlynn Morgan

       From:  Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>

This is important, and i am greatly puzzled why this type of message
doesn't spark heated or at least passionate discussions on the list!!
The oceans are under attack from all sides, and large portions of the
narrow zone that so many people (including conchologists!!) rely on for
so many things, are becomming very sick.  The Gulf of Mexico is a good
example - every year a huge plume of dead water spreads out a bit
further into the Gulf from the highly polluted Mississippi River, and
now we see things like this "black water" toxic bloom emerging.  As a
community so closely connected to the sea, we have both an opportunity
and a responsibility to speak out strongy regarding the intensifying
threats to the World Ocean, before things begin to get beyond easy help.

-ross m.