From:
Jan Haspeslagh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 09:32:24 +0200
Hi all,

I am forwarding you a message (see below my signature) we received from
Dr Carlos Duarte, concerning the status of Glycymeris inflata Broch,
1814. The main questions to be answered here are: does the species
Glycymeris inflata exist? Does any of you know of documented records of
recent specimina of this mollusc? And can any of you give some remarks
on the relationship between G. inflata and G. violascens? I would like
to encourage all of you to react and give your points of view, because
the background of this question (the credibility of biodiversity
research and its arguments in conservation issues) is to be taken very
seriously.

With warm regards from Belgium,

Jan Haspeslagh

--
Jan Haspeslagh
bibliothecaris/librarian VLIZ

email : [log in to unmask]

Raadpleeg onze bibliotheekcatalogus op:
Search our library catalog here:

http://www.vliz.be/vmdcdata/Imis/bibsrch.htm

VLIZ
Vlaams Instituut voor de Zee vzw
Flanders Marine Institute
Vismijn
Pakhuizen 45-52
B-8400 Oostende
Tel. +32-(0)59-34 21 30
Fax +32-(0)59-34 21 31
http://www.vliz.be

________  Message ______________

Dear colleagues,

We have encountered a problem that draws into the ethics and public
perception of biodiversity research, where we need your assistance.

A biologist with some experience on molluscs, Cristina Ruiza de Altaba,
claims to have discovered specimens of the bivalve Glycymeris inflata,
defined as a fossil by Brocchi, 1814, on the debris generated by coastal

works on the island of Majorca.  This finding has only been reported on
the
local press, and has not been published or submitted to any scrutiny by
the
scientific community, but has generated a domino effect that has placed
great pressure on the agencies resposible for the coastal work on the
charge
that they have destroied a living fossil.

I am very concerned about this entire issue, because at a time that
biodiversity research struggles to take the position its deserve on
research
and the management of the marine environment, we cannot afford deviating

from the path established for the scientific process and incur into
alarmism
and opportunism.  Our collective credibility as a a rigorous discipline
is,
in my opinion, at stake on the Spanish scientific community.

We have consulted with experts, which are sckeptic of the allegued
finding -
this species is nowhere to be found on the living record - and tend to
believe that it is likely to be the common congeneric species Glycymeris

violacescens (Lammarck, 1819), with which it may actually be a synonim,
since they are concurrent on Pleistocenic deposits in the Balearic
islands.

I would greatly appreciate any comments and views that you may provide
on
(1) does the species Glycymeris inflata exist? (i.e. is it recognised by

the
scientific community); and (2) does this report offer any credibility at

face value?

Please feel free to circulate this message through any discussion lists
or
colleagues that may provide some assistance.

Please send your comments to Carlos M. Duarte ([log in to unmask]).

I thank you for your time and help.

Sincerely,

Carlos M. Duarte
Profesor de Investigacion CSIC / Research Professor Spanish Research
Council

Instituto Mediterraneo de Estudios Avanzados
CSIC-Univ. Illes Balears
C/ Miquel Marques 21
07190 Esporles
(Islas Baleares)