From:
Jan Haspeslagh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 08:50:36 +0200
Hello Charles,

I did receive some very useful replies but off-list, so you couldn't have seen
them. Several people made me aware of the Macedo & Borges book, but I haven't been
able to locate a copy of that book nearby yet!

In any case, thanks very much for your reaction. I do hope we will have an
enjoyable trip with lots of shells.

my best regards,

Jan

CHARLES F STURM wrote:

> Jan,
> I haven't seen any replies posted to your question about books relating to
> Portugal.  I use two books:
>
> 1)      Poppe and Goto. European Seashells Vol. 1 and 2.  This is my
> general reference.
>
> I think most people are familiar with this volume and it needs no further
> discussion.
>
> 2)      Maria Candida Consolado Macedo, Maria Isabel Consolado Macedo and
> Jose Pedro Borges. 1999. Conchas Marinhas de Portugal (Seashells of
> Portugal). Editorial Verbo, Lisbon. 516 pp.
>
> The first 60 or so pages are both in Portuguese and English.  The
> remainder of the book is in Portuguese.  Most of the taxonomic
> descriptions are done in a telegraphic style.  Looking up a few words in a
> dictionary or doing a few internet translations will give you a sufficient
> vocabulary to decipher these paragraphs (most of the time).  In addition,
> some of the material is presented as small icons; the meanings of these
> are described in both languages in the beginning of the book. These icons
> describe depth and bottom-type data.
>
> Hope this is of help to you.
>
> Regards,
> Charlie
> Charlie Sturm, Jr
> Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
>                      Carnegie Museum of Natural History
>                      Pittsburgh, PA, USA
>
> Assistant Professor - Family Medicine

Jan Haspeslagh