From:
Dan Teven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 21:05:16 -0400
My local shelling buddies Don Robak and Scott Robichaud taught me where to
go
on Cape Ann.

Wingaersheek Beach in Gloucester has the best beach shelling in New England
(although that's not saying much).  Shells from moderately deep water seem
wash up here in recognizable condition.  From the parking lot, bear right
and work
your way up the channel, following the drift line.  You'll probably find
Colus
pygmaea, and if you're very lucky you may find Aporrhais occidentalis.

When you get tired of sifting through beach drift, check out the lobster
traps piled
on the docks in Gloucester and Rockport...Buccinum undatum, Colus stimpsoni
and Neptunea decemcostata are easy to come by.  But please ask the
lobstermen
for permission first!

Dan